Wednesday 4 September 2013

Things I Carry: Laptop, Swimsuit & Country Music


I spend a lot of time on the road, traveling around the world to meet with customers, investors and employees. Last year alone, I spent more than 60% of my time traveling.

While I’m accustomed to frequent travel and moving at a fast pace, there are a few things I always try to carry and can’t go without. These help me stay focused, tune out the noise and provide the flexibility I need whether I’m at home or on the road.
Staying Focused
Since competing in high school, I’ve tried to make swimming a part of my regular routine. The physical exercise and time alone in a pool is a great outlet for focusing my thoughts and relieving stress. When I’m in town, I start my day at a local public pool where I’m enrolled in a Masters Swimming program. When traveling, I always carry a swimsuit and try to stay at a location near a pool so I can get in a morning swim regardless of time zone.
Tuning Out the Noise
As any member of my team who has spent time with me in a car will tell you, I’m a big fan of Country music. Some favorites include George Strait, Brooks & Dunn and Shania Twain. I keep my phone loaded with playlists that I use to tune out the noise and help me concentrate while traveling. Our CFO, Cathie Lesjak, shares a similar appreciation for Country music – sometimes when we’re working late you can hear Country playing from our cubicles.
Flexibility On and Off the Clock
I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t include at least one plug for HP. One item I can’t travel without is the HP Envy x2, our latest laptop/tablet hybrid. It’s lightweight and easy to carry on trips. While on a plane, I use it as a notebook to send emails and handle work. When I want to unwind, I slide off the screen and use it as a tablet to watch a movie and decompress. I have to work efficiently when I’m on the go and the Envy x2 helps me get the job done wherever I happen to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment