Sunday 19 April 2015

Are Beards OK in the Office?

Are Beards OK in the Office?
Unless you’ve been walking around staring at the floor you’ll have noticed that the beard has made a remarkable comeback as the ‘Hipster Beard’. I was at a funeral last week and of the four men under the age of 35* I was the only one not sporting such a beard. In conversation with one chap I found that his beard required regular pruning and even the application of something called ‘Beard Oil’ to give it extra shine.

It looks like I’ve missed the beard trend, not least because as a baldy with an ample post-Christmas belly, all I’d need is fingerless gloves and I’d look like a fisherman. Furthermore I’m not sure what a wiry ginger beard could do for my appearance.
Once upon a time though I remember working in an office in one of my first jobs. I’d only recently started and so didn’t know the office etiquette surrounding beards. After a couple of day’s growth, producing what is also known as Bumfluff, I was approached by my boss, “Daniel, your facial hair isn’t really appropriate in this office. Please make sure you shave tonight and in future do so daily.” After that I kept a razor and shaving foam in my desk draw just in case.
I then remarked about those chaps who do have beards. “Smart beards are fine, however the growth stage looks scruffy so if you want a beard I suggest you grow one when you next have a holiday of more than a week.” Well and truly told.
So what does a beard say about the wearer?
Well in the past people have associated beards as being scruffy, with some thinking the wearer as being lazy. Some people associate the wearer of a beard as being rough and ready. Beards have been associated with scholarly people such as professors and lecturers and also religious figures. And then there is the designer stubble, which for many is the height of trendiness. With so many people sporting the beard these days they can’t all be a result of laziness can they? As my friend with the beard oil has shown, the work which goes into such beards is highly demanding, not least because one must get through the itching stage.
So what are your thoughts? Is it ok to wear a beard to work in a 21st Century office? Or should beards be banned? And what does the beard say about the wearer?

No comments:

Post a Comment